First in Line Success Academy (FILSA) Scholarship Program
Are you the first in your family to go to college? If so, Baylor has an innovative program for First Generation College Students who are incoming freshmen or incoming transfer students that provides the opportunity to receive a scholarship and support to help their transition to Baylor. Through the First in Line Success Academy, students will have a dynamic opportunity to develop relationships with other first generation students, meet faculty, and become familiar with campus and Baylor traditions through a pre-move-in program that will extend through their Baylor career. The First in Line Success Academy (FILSA) program will begin in August before Welcome Week or classes start.
- $3,000 Annual Scholarship
- An Academic Coach
- Peer Mentoring
- Academic Workshops
- General Support
- Access to leadership and service opportunities
*50 students are selected for each incoming cohort.
All incoming first-generation students will automatically be considered for the program. Incoming students selected through the initial review will be reached out to by our office to answer additional questions regarding their understanding of the program and commitment to the requirements. Once you get your admissions application in, you’ll be in the pool of applicants considered!
We plan to begin reviewing applicants in early spring.
The First in Line Success Academy program provides students the opportunity to get a head start on life as a Baylor Bear. From the 2017 cohort, 96% of the students felt that the program gave them the confidence that they can succeed in college and 94% felt more connected to Baylor due to participation in the program.
By participating in FILSA, students will:
- Get connected to the Baylor community and meet other first-generation college students at Baylor
- Engage in the college experience and prepare to be successful academically in the fall and beyond
- Take advantage of one-on-one support from Academic Mentors, Peer Leaders, and faculty/staff who will help guide you to success
To be eligible for FILSA, you must:
- Be admitted to Baylor
- Submit your FAFSA, TAFSA. or CSS profile
- Be a first-generation college student*
- Be a first-time incoming college freshman or transfer student
- Be starting Baylor in the fall of 2023 or spring/summer 2023 if a transfer student
- Be available to move in early and participate in events throughout the fall and spring semesters
*Note: Baylor defines First-Generation College Student as a student whose parents did not complete a four-year college degree. Students can still be considered a first-generation college student with older siblings having a four-year college degree or attending college.